Beginner's Photography Workshop Manchester - Getting off Auto mode on your DSLR, Snapping that perfect content with pro photographer and stylist Georgie Glass
So you may have invested in a DSLR recently? Maybe Santa brought you one for Christmas?!
Or had one for a while and just not getting those shots you want?
Stuck on the auto settings and have no real idea how to get off them?
Well, Georgie Glass is back by popular demand for an exclusive WeBlogNorth workshop to help us do just that...get off auto and finally take those photos that we want for our blogs, websites and social media.
Who's it for?
- Any creative who wants to learn the basics of photography, get some professional advice and time to practice
- Bloggers, vloggers, Instagrammers, social influencers - photography is a skill that will benefit every content creator
- Freelancers, small business owners and brand builders - visuals represent your brand online, so come along and find out how you can nail your Instagram aesthetic, product snaps, website pictures and more!
Georgie Glass - Who is she and what is the workshop exactly?
Georgie is a professional photographer, stylist and fellow WeBlogger. She is an established food & lifestyle photographer born, bred and residing in Manchester. Having been surgically attached to her camera since the age of 13, she then went on to study Photography with Editorial and Advertising at the University of Gloucestershire. Having been inspired by her involvement with WeBlogNorth, Georgie's now branched off and started her own blog. We now run seasonal workshops with Georgie in photography and photo-styling as part of our ever-growing community.
Georgie is a pro at not only styling and setting up the right shot, but knowing what camera settings you should be using in what light, location and situation. She's totally lovely, approachable and a really good teacher, so you'll be sure to pick up some useful tips at this hands-on workshop.
This workshop is geared up for all you complete photography beginners and those looking for a refresh! We'll cover a range of technical and theory elements in the morning session, including things like looking deeper into what makes an image perfectly exposed, an explanation of the exposure triangle and techniques you can implement to help you develop your work. We'll also go over the different things you could have in your kit-bag, and what I recommend every beginner to get their hands on. Then in the afternoon, we will break into groups for the practical part of the day; where we will put into practice everything you've learned in the morning. Whether you're shooting on DSLR or even on a phone, there will be something for everyone to take from the day.
Here's what someone said about last year's workshop with Georgie...
"I'd never attended a WeBlogNorth event before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The session exceeded my expectations. Georgie was knowledgeable, approachable and made learning easy. She broke down the technical aspects in an easy-to-understand way and I liked the mix of theory and practice."
Theory & Practical
The session will have an element of theory - taking you through the why's and how's, so you actually understand and have some context when using your camera. But it'll be largely practical, so you can try out what you're learning as you go along, ask questions and pick Georgie's brains whilst you're doing it. We find that's the best way to learn!
- Basic introduction to the technical side of photography
- Explanation of the exposure triangle
- What on earth is ISO?
- Easy techniques to help you practice and develop your work
- What should be in your kit bag
- How to get the most out of your smartphone camera when you're on the go
- Round-the-table discussion about your biggest struggles with photography
- Afternoon workshops and exercises to put your newly learned practices in place
Skills Workshop details
Date: come along on Sunday 3rd February and get finally start using your camera in the way you want!
Timings: the workshop will run from 10am till 3pm with a break for lunch.
Lunch: We will include a yummy lunch, so we can all eat together, chat about what we've learned (and no doubt take more photos!). You are welcome to bring something to snack on too if you'd prefer (*we will do our best to accommodate special dietaries).
What to bring: All you need to bring is yourself, a notepad and of course your camera (plus any lenses you'd like to use). A good quality camera phone is fine too, just please let us know beforehand if you plan to bring one instead of your camera.
Location: Six & Flow offices, 2nd floor Barton Arcade, Manchester. We will meet here, go through the theory and then head-off for some practical photo-taking.
- 9.50am: Arrivals
- 10.00am: Welcome, roundtable introductions & conversation about the challenges you face with your camera
- 10.20am: Theory and Technical
- 11.30am: Practical Session 1 (we'll get out and start shooting some style shots)
- 12.30pm: Break for lunch and discussion
- 1.30pm: Practical Session 2 (4 pop-up stations to practice on - for this you will need to bring a few props)
- 2.30pm: Re-gather, ask questions, show our work (if you want to), feel proud!
- 3.00pm: Goodbyes (for now!)
£60 - non-members*
£50 - WeBlogNorth members*
*plus small booking fee
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure that when you book, you let us know your preferred contact email address, as we will need to get in touch with final details!
You can also email us at [email protected]